Sunday, January 11, 2015

New Year, New System

Starting the New Year seems like a good time to start new things. Like better record keeping. This shoe box full or receipts just makes for more work at the year end farm finance meeting.... ugh. That doesn't need anything to make it more exciting! I've been working on a couple spread sheets to better organize things. It's still a work in progress but I think I'm going to test it out with all the info from 2014 I have piled in a note book style calendar. I can't give any fancy figures for last year, but hopefully this year, I will be able to!

A few things I want to really work on this year are:

Reading my entire BIBLE
Life on farm, with kids and a husband is ridiculously busy & chaotic, but foremost I have to put my Savior. Building a better relationship with Christ starts from reading my Bible daily. So this year I want to challenge myself to read the WHOLE Bible. I know it might be a challenge; honestly I can't even sit down a write about all the chaos once a week! 

Meal Plan
I love to cook, but sometimes I get so busy I can't do anything until my kids start complaining or my own stomach starts growling! I want to figure out a better system to plan out meals that are healthy! Some way to keep up with what I've cooked what meals pair well for the week, etc... This is also going to be an important part of my thing, hopefully reducing the grocery bill.

Reducing Debt
Because who really wants debt?? I know sometimes it can't be helped! This year, I really want to focus on paying down our house. This means I'm going to have to cut back on all my expenses. Deciding if it's a need or a want. I'm an "on-the-go" mom; I like to get out- shop for deals, eat out, and burn too much gas! If I'm not on the go it’s because between hardware store visits I'm working on some projects. I may go into more details later, because I could talk forever about how I know I need to save more and spend less.... but talking is one thing.

Record Keeping
So, like I said above, end of year farm finance meeting.... blah. Besides finance my records are just jumbled all over my calendar. It would be so much easier if it was all but into a nice spread sheet. This is what I have worked on the last three days. Rabbit records, goat records, cow records, dairy yields, egg yields, garden yields... OK you get the idea. I'm pretty good at this for a week, and then it goes down the drain from there. So I really want to do a better job this year.

Improving Our Homestead
Besides record keeping, I want to work this year and improve the functionality of our farm. I want to be able to create a mission statement of what we want to accomplish and stand for. How we plan to accomplish all this and where we would like to be in five years. 


So my husband pointed out that on several occasions I have these bright ideas, and the meal plans last about two weeks, budgets get shot in the foot with the first unexpected flat, my record keeping normally makes it till March, SOOOO sorry I get busy hun! I guess we will see what happens this year!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment