Wednesday, August 20, 2014

How We Got Here


I guess I should make my first post about how we got here.
The story could really be as long as you wanted, from back as far as my childhood, heck, to even before I was born... but don't PANIC--I don't have the time to tell it all! I've got 23 minutes for my creamed corn to finish processing and then I'm hitting the sack!
  My Papaw bought the first part of our farm in 1967; he raised my dad and aunt here for most of their lives. His father was a farmer, who came and helped him get a lot of things started. They built the barn and an old wooden wagon that we still use to this day. At some point, he bought some an adjoining land to create what we have today.




 Papaw took a break from farming and moved back to the big city at some point, only returning to the farm life after he retired. One of my favorite mottos he had was 'work smarter not harder'. I remember those weekend trips when would come from the city to visit the farm. Back then, the only animals at the farm were a stray dog and some cows. Yet, it was always so exciting, there are firefly's out here...
My family moved from the city out to the farm when I was ten years old. I learned to drive a tractor only a year after we moved, and by thirteen I was already raking and hauling hay. I was my Papaw's 'right hand man'. When I grew up and had to get a paying job and college education, I wasn't always able get home to help on the farm--but I never forgot how to work.
In 2006, my Papaw passed away, leaving the farm to my Dad. Yet after many years driving to the city to work a desk job and then driving back to work the farm, he decided to go ahead and move back to the city, passing the torch to me.
Luckily, I married a wonderful cornbread raised man, and we moved our little family here in November of 2013. It’s been a journey to say the least. We moved in, hosted Thanksgiving, two weeks later had our second child, and have been wide open ever since.
That pretty much sums it up. I couldn't imagine life any other way right now. And I'm so proud to be able to raise my children here, and teach them how to work.... There goes my timer!!


Have a Blessed Day!!


Felicia





No comments:

Post a Comment