Monday, August 29, 2016

Whats for dinner?

Fold laundry, pick up the house, tackle 2nd grade, head outside to do chores, and the next you know its 8 o'clock and everyone is screaming 'what's for dinner?'. Anyone else have this issue? It seems to be a fairly common issue with busy working moms and here, we work with the daylight so its dark before we even stop to think about eating and then all our meat is generally frozen. I tried getting several things out of the freezer and keeping them in the fridge, and then we end up not eating them because who really wants to start cooking dinner at 8:30? I  end up throwing away half of it because I can't remember how long it has been there! I could eat a bag of popcorn every night and be satisfied, although eventually I'm sure it would catch up with me. And then there is the case that all to often we find ourselves eating out which isn't healthy and cost a fortune. All the while, we are working in our garden, canning, or working with our farm fresh meat animals so that we can be healthier??  So explain to me how that works?


I have found when I take the time to plan out a menu and buy groceries we do a whole lot better, I also do pretty good spending a whole day cooking and freezing several meals, as long as I remember to get them out of the freezer in time! Until I run out of menu items and someone complains about eating the same thing every week. My kids love hamburger helper style meals, and they are quick and easy, my six years old loves to cook them, but yet again this isn't on the healthy side, surely its better than eating out though?!


This fancy new printer I got comes with some cool auto print things and with a push of a button or two it prints out a blank calendar! So AJ say, "mom, this is our menu planner, right?". Hmm, okay sure lets try it! Here is where I started:


Goals:
Balance
Nutrition
Convenience
Affordability

Its not really as easy as just throwing some meals on paper. If you want to be successful you need to half way know your schedule. I know there are some days we will be out all day and I don't want to come in an cook and clean up a huge meal. We cook for the kids at church on Wednesday night, so I don't need a meal then. Saturdays, we spend the day generally working on the farm, so I want something quick and easy. Okay you get the point.



*disclaimer* no judging about what we eat! I'm not a health coach, a dietician, or anyone who is qualified to put meals together for others. Eating these foods could cause weight gain, illness, fullness, happy husbands and children, or even death. I am not responsible.

Since we got that out of the way here is where you can get a downloadable copy of the September Menu. The grocery list include all your main items, but double check cause I can't be responsible if I forgot something and you have to go back to the store... happens to me ALL the time. I didn't include staple kitchen items, like butter, spices, and such. I split it into two list because I like my produce fresh, most people get paid twice a month, and that's about how many times I want to go grocery shopping with three kids in a month. The first list is for the 1st-16th and the second list starts for the 17th and continues til the end of the month.

This seemed like a good place for me to start and share my experiences, cost, failures, and insight as I go. I categorized a few things to help myself out. I will also try to get some links together for some of these meals! So here is to my first MEAL MONDAY! Even though I didn't finish it til Tuesday morning!






Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!
Psalms 34:8


No comments:

Post a Comment